Sunday, October 4, 2009

A Run and a Regret

Before I wax poetic on why I can't seem to bring myself to blog a regular basis, I have to boast about these amazing waffles!


I can honestly say (and B-May can testify) that I made these all by myself. One step towards autonomy! Granted, I followed a recipe from Betty Crocker, but made it my own by adding a banana and a solid handful of almonds! Excellent breakfast that I had to wait for because we didn't have eggs, among many other things needed at the grocery store.

So back up a little: Shortly after my previous post B-May and enjoyed a simple but veggie-licious take on macaroni and cheese. We made excess macaroni and cheese. Seriously, there are three tupperwares in the fridge, and three in the freezer. It was out of hand. Four types of cheeses and peppers and mushrooms. Filling but, given the whole wheat macaroni base, it ranked on the healthier side of things.


For dessert, we baked oatmeal, peanut butter, chocolate chip cookies. Lots of good things there. Strangely, the recipe did not call for an egg which is probably why they look like bites and not traditional cookies. Triple (or quadruple?) the number of bites here to arrive at my total consumption that night.


Breakfast the next morning was next to nothing. We stopped for coffees and chai lattes, respectively at Caffe Killim in town. This was at 6 30am because we were headed back down to the Commonwealth despite the rain for the Somerville Homeless Coalition 5K. I've already said it was our first race exactly a year ago. As such, we've been eagerly awaiting to see our improvement since then. At press time, I have not been able to dig up the official times but I recall something around 26:25 for myself, and B-May just 30 seconds or so behind. That's five minutes better (at least) than our times in 2008. And I ran it in my Five Fingers!
Afterwards, we were treated to a post-race BBQ of sorts put on for runners by a couple local restaurants in Somerville, chief among them, Anna's Taqueria supplied grilled chicken and grilled veggie breakfast burritos. These were of course excellent.
And there was mixed fruits and corn bread. I ate a lot of corn bread.


Soon after, I was back in New Hampshire for work and during work enjoyed leftover macaroni and cheese and some of B-May's homemade applesauce - despite not having a spoon. I just finished fishing out the pasta with my fingers like a Beudoin when a generous co-worker offered me spoon for my applesauce. It was good timing.

Work proved to be particularly stressful and so a co-worker joined me for a couple of beers at the Coat of Arms in Portsmouth. I had a Black and Brown - Guiness and Newcastle and a Shipyard Pumpkinhead Ale. Both were pleasant treats I slowly sipped.

All caught up! I have friends from college arriving soon - I forsee burritos at Dos Amigos - and other hearty portions in my immediate future.

Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment