Sunday, September 13, 2009

Ups and Downs

Good evening!

On Saturday B-May and I ran a race! Well, it was a race for the snot-nosed kids from Exeter High School who chidded obnoxious interruptions throughout the 5k. They probably been forced to run it by their teachers or more likely their coaches but we were not forced and we were not forced to CRUSH IT! In a driving rain we ran the fastest 5k times either of us had ever run. I finished in just over 26 minutes and B-May kept me in her sights the entire time and came across the line about a minute and a half behind me. It's very encouraging for us to consider the improvements we have made on our times and our running overall. Tomorrow we are planning on a six mile "trail run" not too far from the house. The key of course is confidence - the belief that twice the distance of what we ran yesterday, is attainable.
So that's the news from the running front. Everything is going well with the Five Fingers and I've never felt stronger before, during or after any run. I realize it's a combination of the shoes but mostly my gait and stride which have been so radically altered it's still a little awkward.
Pretty soon I will start swimming at the city pool. I'm excited to finally put my money where my mouth is.

And with a healthy bit of cycling (just tipped over 1,000 miles of riding this summer) that completes the triathlon update.
Now, the bad news. After my leisurely ride and last post, B-May (and I, sort of) made a pie of spaghetti! There was a combination of cheese sauces and pasta and tomato sauces and everything else I have since forgotten (I finished the last leftover for lunch today).
THEN we decided that it was necessary to hop on down to the local Hannaford for some ice cream. And then we ate it. Stupid, but amazing.

I partied Thursday night (which is a gross understatement) and had a few more beers last night with some friends from out of town. In addition to $1 PBRs at a pub in Dover, I created a debt of nearly an entire bag of chips and a tub of salsa to a buddy after raiding his fridge early Friday morning.


Hooray! Hangover food. Initially a breakfast sandwich (egg and cheese) before the lighter fare of toast for my pissed off stomach.

With such a void in my healthy lifestyle I will spare the reader and myself the rigors of food accounting. Instead, here's a slew of pictures of with sparse captions!

Post-race food from Me and Ollies! Bagels with cream cheese and a cup of coffee. Here's a muffin from Caffe Killim (sp?) down the street from us. It was delicious and cheap! I got a cup of coffee - freshly brewed Turkish Blend - as well on this stop from earlier this weekend. Delicious and cheap indeed!Hooray again! This time for the end of Eggo waffles. With no intentions of buying more, that's the last of this long-time habit. The horizon is filled with healthy alternatives!

Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment