Thursday, September 17, 2009

Lots of running ---> Lots of eating

Good evening!

After a delightful lunch of grilled cheese and apples, I hopped on my bike down to the city pool. Turns out I can't swim for a majorly discounted rate unless I get my license renewed which is a total bummer. Well, perhaps for now. Maybe I'll figure it out soon. Anyways,
I spent the rest of the afternoon sitting alone with a good book on the shore of Four Tree Island. It was a bit windy and the breeze was crisp so it probably kept any picnic-ers out of the area. I settled down for two hours before the wind wore me down. I biked back into town and continued to read on the curb of Popovers while sipping a warm apple cider. It hit the spot. Munched on a granola bar waiting for B-May to get out of work and then headed home to change for a big run.

So, big run. We took off for 6.5 miles of evening running! We didn't bring watches but we did map it out of mapmyrun.com - brilliant site - and just dove into cooking dinner immediately after. Totally awesome to feel that good after a long run. I'm addicted.

In our sweaty clothes we put together spinach raviolis with a homemade tomato sauce. Check it out!



Here's the sauce simmering in the pan. It's probably too small for the two can of diced tomatoes we added but it worked all right. B-May carefully double-checks the recipe from Cooking Light. You can make out the picture of the intended result, sort of. By the way, check out my celebratory Coke can from Monday. Finally finished it as my energy drink post-run. So original.

Really, check out the wontons we used to make the raviolis. Laying them on a cookie sheet with a dab of spinach and ricotta cheese (and other ingredient of course), we splashed some egg wash on the perimeter of the wontons to serve as an adhesive. That being said, they all pretty much stuck together.

We boiled them two or so at a time and generously piled on the sauce for the end result: Perfect blend of veggies with starch and dairy to complement our big run. Thankfully there are leftovers which I actually intend to share. This is worth noting because it is very rare.

AND THEN THE BEST PART:

APPLE CRISP. Here we have eight apples with a crisp topping. I added some ice cream for good measure and BAM!

Bummer - this picture does not do the dessert justice. Apologies for my complete lack of photography skills. Anyways, it was good and that's all there is to know.

So then fast forward through a regular bowl of oatmeal with a banana for breakfast and the remainder of the spaghetti pie for lunch (with fig newtons and another coke...crap!) and arrive at dinnertime. We stir-fried a handful of veggies with some rice for a low-key dinner. The "meat" of the dish was a return to tempeh.

So this was another great post-run meal because I ran to work today. And back. My bag was a little heavy in the morning and slightly lighter this afternoon and I made it back at a good clip. This racks up just over 10 miles in the past 24 hours so I'm going to take it easy tomorrow and Saturday but am still stoked for this boost in my triathlon training!

Off to indulge in more apple crisp with ice cream! Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment