Wednesday, September 9, 2009

Leisurely Ride

Yesterday, I decided that on my ride to work that I would not break a sweat. Just enjoy a smooth and calm (despite traffic!) ride to work. I wore jeans and made no effort to look the part of cyclist with all the gear necessary to pass for the role. The reason I bring this up is to illustrate that we sometimes need to just take it easy. Especially when it comes to exercise. I once read in Bicycling Magazine a column that encouraged its readers to strip their bike of a cyclocomputer and just ride without knowing how far or how fast you're going. The emphasis was enjoying the act of riding a bicycle and not just using it as a means of churning lactic acid. Perhaps it was the lingering effects of my speed 5k earlier in the day but I gotta say, it felt right just enjoying the bicycle for the beautiful and wonderfully efficient machine it is. And the ride home from work - at 10pm there are almost no cars on the backroads of Portsmouth and I enjoyed an equally calming and quiet ride home as well.

For the most part, I am content with my food intakes yesterday. Shortly after my last post, I broiled up the leftover slices of Saturday's pizza and the remaining black bean burger. In addition to actual hamburger roles (all white baby!) from my folks' BBQ, I paired up the burger with some grilled veggies - asparagus, peppers, onions and others I am not able to name:



I must report also that after my lunch before I set off on my leisurely cruise to work, I had such a craving for chocolate. But willpower prevailed! I had a glass of water and brushed my teeth - another remedy to discount the sweet tooth - and off I went.

For dinner I made a pathetic lemon-pepper chicken sandwich with a slice of cheese melted on top. Again, leftovers from the BBQ. It was of course delicious though lacking in much flavor. Fortunately I was enveloped in my reading of Under the Banner of Heaven too much to notice until now, really. This sad excuse for a sandwich went with a corn salsa that ALSO came from the BBQ. Lots of leftovers!


Then, on my ride home I asked B-May to nuke a slice of my aunt's birthday cake ALSO from the BBQ. While we watched the entire first disc of the fifth season of The Office I had that with some milk and later a beer. Then I broke down with another sweet tooth craving, so inconsolable I succumbed to a package of Funny Bones. Terrible little treats but reminiscent of my childhood and while "comfort food" is not a label I can attach to them, every once in a while I pick up this cheap snack at the corner store.

Breakfast this morning was less than enchanting - eggs and toast. Thought I should get a move on the eggs before they go bad - B-May and I have been pretty good about now throwing away food since our move. Gotta keep it up!

Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment