Thursday, October 1, 2009

Two Days off of Work

When I last posted, I was hungry.

So I went to Me and Ollies for a sandwich. Seeing the special of the day matched the number of dollars in my pocket, I ordered the turkey club panini. (Not pictured.) I was proud of myself for eating it! Considering the mix of alfalfa shoots spread over lean turkey meat, lettuce, tomatoes and a couple strips of bacon, it was not my usual fare. I did have a soda with it - can't seem to break that habit. I'll get on it.

More work to do: home from a day of reading and tired from cleaning and packing for the night back in Massachusetts (the excuse), I nuked another sizable slice of lemon pound cake (the crime) sprinkled with far too many chocolate chips...doused with too much chocolate syrup. (Not pictured). But whatever man, I ran ten miles the other day...I know; it's a poor excuse.

Which brings me to the debut of my newest segment: What I Learned Today. Such an addition to this blog was so predictable. So here's What I Learned Today. Just because I run a lot and bike to work every day and am rocking a crazy high metabolism I can't eat cake with the simple idea of replacing calories as energy. B-May let me in on the fact that the cake and all the Hostess Cakes I've been likewise justifying are loaded with refined sugars which pass right through me (and you!) and serve no good. Rather, I should be ingesting natural sugars from fruits and stuff. Okay, I clearly have a new subject to research. Still, despite my ignorance this was an important reckoning for me as I strive to embrace a healthy lifestyle.

For yesterday's dinner, B-May's mom served up two calzones - one with broccoli and cheese, another with ground turkey and tomato sauce. Both were exquisite and filling. I should note that I did not, as B-May says "drink my calories." It seems there is a milk shortage in my life -none in my fridge and none in her parent's fridge. Seriously, I'm close to with withdrawals. I had water. That was the point of that.

THEN, B-May and her mother brought out a mixture for pumpkin whoopie pies from the Stonewall Kitchen. These things were deadly. Thankfully there were only 12, entitling every one in the room to three pies but even I had to stop at two. Then I waited 20 minutes and had my third. Totally stuffed.

In the morning, we took off for a brief three-mile run. We took off on what used to be our usual route in our sleepy New England town. We talked about how difficult the course used to be for us. We talked about how something happened when we moved to Portsmouth, and all of a sudden we were running six, seven miles without batting an eye. It was my first time running in my Five Fingers in my hometown and I was quite impressed with myself on my stride. I even sprinted at the end for 100 yards. Totally awesome!

Breakfast was far from enchanting: two scrambled eggs and a bowl of corn flakes. Water for a beverage. I did however, down a SlimFast before leaving town. Apparently these things are supposed to be a meal replacement. I cannot for the life of me see how. "Controls hunger for 4 hours?" Yea, right.

Which brings me to lunch at Not Your Average Joe's. A longtime favorite, not just for its bread and olive oil preceding every meal. I must admit I ate an entire basket of bread on my own and then a little more. This was well within four hours of the SlimFast. Sometimes I forget they serve more than their bread at Joe's like just now. Before I do forget, I had a bland, forgettable, (and perhaps, regrettable) turkey burger. Some asparagus too, which was excellent but the sandwich was blase. No accent on the "e". Sorry. Oh! And then I had a beer for dessert: Roxy Rolles, a fall offering from Magic Hat Brewery. Excellent choice, Jon! Why thank you!

Back in Portsmouth, B-May headed out for a work event and left me to my own devices. I played a lot of video games and a quickly nuked some leftover penne with three slices of breaded eggplant. I'm a big boy now! So what do I do now that I'm a big boy? I enjoy the first mug of hot cocoa of the season like a child. (Free from whipped cream and chocolate chips, though they were offered to me.)

I just scrolled through the above post and it's crazy long and wordy. I really should update more often and play a little less catch up. That's the other thing I Learned Today: real bloggers update three times a day! Forgive me if I'm wrong but I gotta thing that's crazy, man. Think how much you're on your computer. Do you even have time to cook and eat? Perhaps not. I notice a lot of the girls eat raw vegetables.

Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment