Thursday, September 24, 2009

Doldrums of the Week

Bummer.
Nothing terribly exciting has happened since our hike on Monday. We were so beat after our hike that I couldn't muster the energy to see our buddy play jazz at the Press Room in town. A weak moment...but we did make some vegetarian pizza! We made a quick stop for whole wheat pizza dough and some generic four-cheese Pizza cheese. Wow, redundancy. But with a generous helping of zucchini, onions, and peppers, we managed to put together two wholesome pies. I, of course finished off the remainder of the slices for lunch the next day with the addition of my greatest success to cooking since I started this project: steamed broccoli! I took some stalks from the fridge, raw, and just splashed some water in the Tupperware before zapping it for a minute or so. They came out great!

Unfortunately at the 11 o'clock position of this photo, I had two brownies with caramel and coconut on top. Oh, and a cookie made entirely of fatty, sugary cookie ingredients and Reese's Peanut Butter cups! Needless to say, it was amazing.

Oh! But before that, B-May and I headed into town and sipped a cup of coffee (for me) and a chai latte (for her) at the Works. The point of our lingering, is much more exciting. We're going to Chicago in October to see my brother! We jotted down attractions and sights from a couple guidebooks while enjoying the beautiful noontime sun.

So then Wednesday I finished some more leftovers - this time shepherd's pie - with more broccoli and more brownies. It was a mostly uneventful day except that B-May's friend, Christin came up and we set off for a filling dinner at Poco's on the water (soft tacos with pork and a helping of spinach con queso dip for an appetizer). Then we started drinking. The girls sold me (very successfully) on a mix of apricot juice and a bottle of Magners in a pint. So had a couple of those, some micro-brews, watched a little Man vs. Wild (!!!) and headed out to the Coat of Arms for another pumpkin beer and a horrible mixture of Guiness, Strongbow and a shot of Jameson's called the "Celtic Warrior." Terrible.

Anyways, woke up today with zero appetite and managed some toast with a glass of water for breakfast. Yes, that kind of breakfast. Then at work, while putting down a massive Gatorade, B-May brought me a cup of coffee and a bag of donuts (chocolate frosted, pumpkin spice, and a chocolate crueller (sp?). So had those and then indulged in a simple lunch just outside of work, soaking up the afternoon sun. In spite of my aching body, it was wonderful.

As I write this, B-May is popping some popcorn as dessert after our spaghetti with turkey meatballs and mushroom-tomato sauce. Considering the girl ran a total of 11 miles!!! today, she needed the starch or something. I'll research that more definitively as the training gets more serious.

On that note, I have done next to no exercise aside from my daily bike ride to work. I'm pretty sure I strained my calf muscle (more pointedly, my gastroc nemius (again, sp?) and have been taking it easy to prevent further injury. So that's my excuse but it's not a good combination with drinking and crappy foods.

Oh well. Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment