Friday, September 4, 2009

Crushing it!

Okay, so first the bad news: we didn't run an entire 5K because the roads of Portsmouth can be very confusing and my calves were sore and my arches were feeling it hardcore after my run the other night. (Been a while since an update!) Good news: we were crushing it! Seriously, we put two miles down in fifteen minutes. That is by far the best time we've ever run. Ever! A friend at work suggested that my quickened pace was the result of a placebo effect stemming from the new "shoes" and while I am inclinced to agree, I would argue that a shortened stride and better, more natural form were the major contributors. And the cherry on top of the whole experience: I could have quite going. It was sweet. Now of course, I must consider the effects of this super-run on my calves which are straining to re-learn how to run altogether. I blocked out yesterday and today to allow for rest and stretching. I should be up for a short jog either tomorrow or a longer, three to five mile trip on Sunday. We'll see!

To remain on the topic of triathlons and requiste training, I have begun research into joining the local YMCA for the winter season. Funds are of course, a limiting factor but with small sacrifices here and there, I think I'll be able to pull it off.

So more bad news: we tore it up the night of the run. And my tore it up, I mean went to a Scotch and Pizza party hosted by a co-worker in Dover. From there, we hiked down to a local barroom to see the jazz man rip on some funk well into the night. Got home by roughly midnight but not before drawing myself the total hypocrite, and succumbing to the craving of:

Chocolate Fudge Brownie ice cream from Ben and Jerry's. A terrible failure that had me questioning if I would ever wake up from my food coma. As it turned out, I would rather toil in and out of consciousness than endure the day at work that followed the next morning.

Perhaps it was the full moon, but just the weirdest stuff happened at work. I will omit all the details in the interest of retaining a dwindling interest in this very blog, but it was thoroughly exhausting and stressful. But as they always do, the day promised to be a good one. I haven't got a photo but I enjoyed a bowl of oatmeal with bananas and cinnamon for breakfast. B-May has got me hooked on oatmeal for breakfast. I'm all for it! Lunch was leftover "mexican" - our concoction of turkey meat, spices and veggies. Finished with some Yorks and found it difficult to swallow as I got into my newest read: Under the Banner of Heaven. Written by Jon Krakauer, it's a story about Mormonism and the schismatic sects that split from the core church and their adherence to the long-deposed tenet of polygamy. It's gut-wrenching at times, particularly when relating the main storyline of a vicious murder committed to fulfill a spiritual vision. Anyways,

B-May and I hosted a college buddy for the night and we headed down Route 1 to Wings Your Way where, we ingested a pitcher of beer and perfect recipe for another food coma. I had an enormous chicken tender/ranch dressing wrap with onion rings and did more than my share of finishing 20 wings. As it turned out, we were home by 830 and from the combination of grease, beer, and weirdness that defined the day, I was asleep by 930.

Today so far has been wonderful. B-May cooked up a special helping of oatmeal with vanilla, bananas, pecans, and peanut butter for a perfect breakfast - it was just missing milk. So, within thirty minutes of cleaning the dishes, I was off to get groceries. I realized that I failed on this trip on two fronts: fruits and vegetables. The very basis of Taming the Craving and I haven't got the slightest clue about what to buy, or if depending on price and ripeness or seasonal availability. One of my goals is to develop a stronger sense of autonomy concerning this aisle of the grocery store especially and I totally dropped the ball today. Oh well, there's plenty of time for education and with fall around the corner, I'm confident a love for apples and cider donuts will make it a null point!

Apologies for so much text and lack of pictures. But let's be serious, the only one that mattered and that would remembed is already posted. (Thank you vermont!) So I'm mulling over what to make for lunch...

Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment