Sunday, August 30, 2009

A Few Steps Backwards...

In the time since my last post, I have acquired a coach for my triathlons. He has bestowed on me that I need to buy and wear and train in a Speedo. It's "where we separate the men from the boys" he says. He told me more importantly though, that I need to get serious.

And I will, I promise. But with the training and the fact I'm by no means a couch potato (except for Saturday morning ), I can allow myself some...cookies...for example! So on Friday, I had an extremely productive morning cleaning and preping the apartment for visitors on Saturday (see below) and went for a quick two mile run. Not trying to break any records but with a new gait and reverting to simple shoes, I'm working different muscle groups than ever before. I actually caught the name of them, one being the solius. The other - I forget. Bottom line, I felt amazing! I gave high-fives to little children and just kept running! My breathing was light and I finished not from exhaustion but rather erring on the side of caution and not running myself too thin too quickly. How good of me! Then with time to spare, I walked to work! It was wonderful not rushing to the whims of traffic, be it on a bike or a car. I munched on this very plain sandwich and a can of Arizona Iced Tea during my trip.






Boring but it was satisfying and filling. Three hours later, I took my break at work and munched on this:

Cheeseburger casserole with a seltzer water. Quite good and also very filling. I'll post the recipe later when I find it. B-May has a voluminous collection of recipes so it may take me a while to dig it all up. So after this meal I'm feeling pretty serious about healthy eating and enjoying the feeling of having exercised and accepting a ride home from a co-worker in another effort of going green. Then when I got home, B-May and decided on these: Peanut butter oatmeal cookies! Amazing. Found the recipe online and cut out the shortening to make them a little lighter than they were intended to be. Correction: B-May says we didn't use shortening because we don't have it. She's reading over my shoulder. It's. awkward.

Got to bed at a reasonable hour looking forward to another bright and healthy day. Alas, it was not to be.

Well, here's a little bit of a tease. Oats and honey cereal (dry, naturally) with a couple slices of toast and for the first time ever, a half of grapefruit. After a blunderous attempt, how the hell do you eat these things? It's all grounded up into a pulp and juice got all collected at the bottom and it would have been a terrible mess had it not been for a spoon. So then, in my defense it was a terribly rainy day (I haven't ridden my bike to work since Thursday) and I planted myself in front of the PS2 for the morning. While blasting away stormtroopers I sipped a freshly grounded El Salvador Matalapas from Portsmouth's trendiest coffeeshop Breaking New Grounds. Fantastic. Then...

I spent too much time potato-ing on the couch and was nearly late for work. Had to eat lunch though, so, dammit.

I won't show the gory details, but yup. Fast food. It totally sucked! I was craving mushrooms or something but it seemed like a good idea at the time. And it always does. Stupid move that I paid for the rest of the night. With a complete lack of appetite I only put down a couple Combos and some more peanut butter oatmeal cookies.


Got home from work and found two good friends sitting around the table drinking beers! (And wine too for one). B-May and I commenced a night of revelry that brought us from the apartment to the brewery to two closed bars and then back to the apartment for the remainder of the cookies (and there were a lot) which I pretty much singlehandedly finished. Cheez-its, cookies, bread - they all fell victim to the festivities.

Breakfast today was out at Popovers for the nominal popover and a breakfast sandwich I would have enjoyed more if I couldn't taste beer in every unwanted burp. At work, finally finished up the salmon and pasta with all sorts of veggies and granola bar. It's pretty much a staple but it's not the step backwards I've been wrestling with this weekend.

Good stuff, again would have enjoyed it more if I didn't have residue of Tums on my teeth. Got home and B-May and I made this return to the wonderful!All's well that ends well! From L-R: Veggie Pizza with onions, zucchini, tomato sauce, and mushrooms. To the right, BBQ Chicken pizza with red onions and Sweet Baby Rays sauce. I have to get better about writing daily because it's no fun for anyone to read a litany of food accounting. Right now, B-May is pushing me to try a cookie. Taming the craving be damned when a beautiful woman asks you to try a scrumptuous cookie! Thankfully though, for the integrity of this blog, she rarely plays the role of the temptress.

Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment