Saturday, August 22, 2009

Serious Grocery Run

Despite the title of this blog, I should note that willpower has never been a difficult virtue for me to maintain. As a practicing Catholic for many years, I would regularly give up with ease the things I now crave and am trying to distance myself from - be it chocolate, ice cream or meat. Some years it was all three. Yet now that I have started training for serious athletic events, I find I am just hungrier than usual and my sweet tooth is insatiable. Thankfully though, B-May and I went on a serious grocery run today before breakfast. But first...

Yesterday was plagued by hot and humid weather and boring eats. I did manage a quick run despite the heat - just over 20 mins at a good clip. I had to stop with a heaving chest and a foolish case of early dehydration. Poor planning on my part. For a fix after the run, I had another hummus wrap - this one with spinach and...wait...nothing else. Poured myself a helping of applesauce and fried one egg without most of the yolk to hold me over until dinner.

For dinner I think I deserve either a pat on the back or an intervention to stop drinking cheap, cheap beer. Even though Thursday saw the intake of about six pints, I still had some spare cash set aside for the bar. Yesterday it would be used for the salad bar! Hooray finding leftover cash/using it for something 100% healthier than beer. Unfortunately, the salad bar was horrifically picked over and even for this newbie, the greens looked dry and bland. Thusly, I settled for a prepared salad which was decent but probably only because of the chunky blue cheese dressing. Here's a photo so all can avoid it if possible:


I honestly tried to find a vegetarian option but there was nothing but turkey or bacon. Now, I'm not a vegetarian but I don't eat any beef and I try to limit my general intake of animal as much as possible. Turkeys are an exception as they are incredibly stupid animals. They are so dumb that roofs must be built over their heads so they don't look up at the rain and drown.


True story.


Got home after a vicious and awesome thunder/electrical storm during work and made two more cookies and a glass of milk disappear. Oh, and another beer...


But now the tide turns in the direction I had been hoping for! During commercial breaks of Survivorman we sifted through some Cooking Light cookbooks and methodically planned out our meals for the next week or so. On the horizon, for example: BBQ chicken pizza, Gnocchi, sweet potato soup and stuffed eggplant in a concerted effort to have me learn to enjoy this elusive vegetable. We walked to the grocery store and for just over fifty bucks picked up all the necessary ingredients including a couple extras for me. (York Peppermint Patties to satisfy sweet tooth and store-brand granola bars for fallbacks to keep in my locker at work).


But then we got back and had FRENCH TOAST WITH BANANAS FOR BREAKFAST! WOO!



Now of course, lunch is approaching and I forsee another hummus wrap with the requiste applesauce and a cookie or two. But I am walking to work instead of riding so it should take a little longer and with this heat and humidity I'm sure to arrive five pounds lighter.


Tonight is a birthday party for the jazz-man we saw on Thursday and I am excited for two selling features in particular: a fresh keg of Red Hook ESB and a firepit. Can't be beat! Can't also get too drunk either as 1.) it is bad for the adherence to my training and 2.) B-May and I are going peach picking in the morning with her folks! Blueberries have been in season for sometime but peaches are where it's at! Back with photos of that for sure.

No comments:

Post a Comment