Monday, November 2, 2009

Weeks from Serious

Good evening,

I am far from a professional blogger. I have no photos to share and no appealing itinerary of foods. I will say that I ate well but am in no way capable of accounting for even the good stuff. That will have to suffice for a sorry excuse for my departure from the regularity of blogging.

Yesterday, B-May and I went to the Boston Vegetarian Food Festival. It was sort of insane. I have never encountered so many vegetarians in one place. And they were all in that one place - we're talking wall-to-wall people. I sampled some wonderful foods, slurped a terrible green mixture that I should have refused and pocketed a number of coupons and interesting brochures. We were joined by friends, Dave and Chelsea and later ventured into Cambridge for some beers at the Cambridge Brewing Company and then for dinner at Veggie Planet in Harvard Square. See the theme there?

Not all of the vendors were preaching vegetarianism but most were. Some were trying to hit passers-by over the head with messages on loving all animals and just eating plants. The punk-rocker in me wanted to spite them for taking such a close-minded view. I don't often get to experience the other extreme (opposite the folks sipping porter on Beacon St) but it was not the happiest nor most positive series of encounters. This is not to say that people were hostile because they were not. Rather they utilized every square inch of the soapbox provided to them by the festival to let their messages ring among the crowd. Most vegetarians though seemed just as selfish and cheap as myself and skipped out on the fanfare for the free food.

On an exercise note, I ran 6.5 miles with a buddy always good for introspection on Friday. We kept up a good clip and did a decent lap of Newcastle before breakfasting at Colby's in town. Enter a slew of breakfast staples: chocolate chip pancakes, home fries, and scrambled eggs plus one radical: veggie sausage for a wonderfully filling post-run meal. I haven't run since but I rode my bike to work today and that was cold but worth it.

I am about to cook a warm supper for B-May who is feeeling slightly under the weather today and it looks to be a southwest chili fettuccine or something of the like. I didn't have all the ingredients I hoped for but am confident I can make do for now.

I guess that's it for now, I'll make a conscious effort to photograph it and keep up - strike that - begin, the good work. OH! Before I forget, I'll be signing up for the 2010 Lobsterman that I saw Brad compete in this year. I am officially entering into the sport of triathlon. Sweet!

No comments:

Post a Comment