Sunday, November 29, 2009

An Experiment

I just got back from a 10 minute run. Boring, I know but insightful. I've recently been of the opinion that you can use kung-fu shoes in the place of Vibram Five Fingers, given their sparse support and super-flat sole. They go on and off quickly which makes me wonder if they'd be a good alternative for the FiveFingers come triathlon time.

Well...I was not overly impressed. I managed to snag a pair from my folks' home this Thanksgiving and my run left me with some tough spots on the sides of my feet and each footfall was louder than any I've ever taken in my FiveFingers. I am not dismissing the idea entirely yet - but it's not looking good. At the end of ten minutes, my attention wandered to barefoot running and I gave it another go on the last two hundred yards home. That was awesome! I kept thinking about a recent article I read about the road being like a massage for one's foot. I don't entirely agree but it was MUCH easier than I expected. I'll definitely do that some more - perhaps tonight on a night-run with B-May.

Back up a little: on Thanksgiving, B-May and I entered the Feaster Five Road Race in Andover and we crushed it. We both did the 5 mile distance (as did her sister from Somerville) and I finished at 43:20 and she was about two minutes behind that. I was moving and felt great the entire time. Though it wasn't very cold, my toes got numb and by mile four, I regained complete sense of them. Oh well!

Food updates: Thanksgiving x2, given my family and B-May's family. We hit them both. Been snacking on leftovers since. Lunch, which is soon to follow is probably some sort of turkey sandwich if I am good like that. Dinner tonight is predicted to be leftovers as well but will be wonderful after a cool, 4-mile run to the Newcastle Cemetary and back!

Later!

No comments:

Post a Comment